(EXPERIENCE MAGAZINE) — SEPTEMBER 26, 2017 — The holiest day of the high holidays is approaching and the Temple of the Arts in Beverly Hills is gathering for a day of attonement.
High Holy Day Services will be conducted in the Winnick Family Auditorium on the ornate Harold Kapelovitz bimah, which includes a tapestry recreation of legendary artist, Marc Chagall, entitled “The Journey of the People.” The Beverly Hills Temple of the Arts at the Saban Theatre is now celebrating its 25th Anniversary. The temple was founded and incorporated on November 5, 1992. The mission of the Beverly Hills Temple of the Arts at the Saban Theatre is to promote religion through music, drama, arts, film and dance. To learn more, and to secure tickets, please visit the website
Network with us on Facebook
Officiating at the Kol Nidre and Yom Kippur Services;
– RABBI DAVID BARON, Founder of the Beverly Hills Temple of the Arts, the largest arts and entertainment synagogue in the United States which owns the Saban Theatre.
High Holy Day Kol Nidre and Yom Kippur Special Guests:
– FATHER EAMON KELLY LC is the current Vice Chargé of the Pontifical Institute Notre Dame of Jerusalem Center, as well as the Vice Director of The Magdala Center. Originally from County Clare, Ireland, he joined the Congregation of the Legion of Christ’s Dublin Novitiate in 1974. Fr. Kelly directed youth ministry in the Greater Detroit area from 1979 to 1983, and developed his community’s public relations outreach in North America. Fr. Kelly was ordained a priest in 1987. From 1989 to 1999 he founded Legionaries of Christ communities in Germany, Austria, and Hungary. From 2000 through 2007 Fr. Kelly served in various ministerial positions that included leading business leader retreats and providing personal coaching in New York and serving as Chaplain at Northern Kentucky University. He is an accomplished personal spiritual coach, and international speaker, as well as an avid hiker and multi-linguist.
– ANNE BAYEFSKY is an international human rights lawyer who is the Director of the Touro Institute on Human Rights and the Holocaust and the President of Human Rights Voices. As the author and editor of 11 books, a regular contributor to media outlets in North America and Israel, and over 200,000 twitter followers, Professor Bayefsky is the leading expert on global Anti-Semitism at the United Nations. For her courageous contributions to combating Anti-Semitism and promoting human rights, she has been awarded the “Champion of Israel Award” by UJA Women, the Ben Hecht Award for Outstanding Journalism by the Zionist Organization of America, and Canada’s premier human rights fellowship, the Bora Laskin National Fellowship in Human Rights Research. She has taught at York University, the University of Ottawa Law Faculty, and Columbia University Law School. She has served as a delegate of many organizations, including the International Association of Jewish Lawyers and Jurists and the American Society of International Law, at UN conferences worldwide. She was educated at the University of Toronto and Oxford University.
High Holy Day Kol Nidre and Yom Kippur Special Guests:
– A Beverly Hills native, GREG KRENTZMAN works as a Physician Recruiter for AltaMed Health Services. Greg, his French wife Sophie, and their 11-year-old daughter, Lola, currently reside in their home in Culver City, CA. However, the family’s survival and recovery from the aftermath of the 2016 Nice, France terrorist attack is a testimony to their immense strength, faith and resiliency.
Krentzman’s background also has included Business Development for the Los Angeles Community College School District, as well as raising capital for the funding of Santa Monica College. Krentzman holds an M.A. and a B.A. in Psychology, from Antioch University and University of Kansas, respectively. Krentzman met his wife on J-Date.
HAIDER ELIAS is Co-Founder and President of YAZDA Organization, a Yazidi global organization established in the aftermath of the Yazidi Genocide in August 2014. Along with international Lebanese-British human rights lawyer, Amal Clooney, who has acted as legal counsel for YAZDA and Nadia Murad, a United Nations Goodwill Ambassador, as well as other survivors of the Yazidi Genocide, Haider Elias is working to bring ISIS criminals to justice. On Thursday, September 21, 2017 the United Nations Security Council unanimously voted to set up an investigation to collect evidence on the massacres of Iraq’s Yazidi minority and other atrocities committed by the Islamic State (IS) group in Iraq. Britain drafted a resolution to help bring perpetrators of IS war crimes to justice.
Amal Clooney, who represents Yazidi women who were taken hostage and used as sex slaves by IS as it overtook Iraq’s Sinjar region in August 2014, sat next to Nadia Murad, a Yazidi survivor of IS enslavement, as the council voted on the measure. Elias has a Bachelors degree in Psychology from the University of Houston. He previously worked for the U.S. government in Iraq as a translator and cultural advisor. Elias lost his young brother in the attack against the Yazidi people in August 2014 and became involved in helping the victims with advocacy to prevent future Genocides against minorities. Other projects which Elias and YAZDA have underway include: Psycho-Social Therapy for women who have be traumatized by ISIS; Case Management through Iraqi social services; a Documentation Project taking oral testimonies from the victims of Genocide; advocating for accepting Yazidis for refugees in the U.S. and Europe. To learn more visit YAZDA
A few of the performers and Service Readers for the High Holy Day Services:
– MARY HART, Iconic Former American Television Personality for Entertainment Tonight(September 29th)
– LEONARD MALTIN, Renowned American Film Critic and Historian (September 29th)
– BILL DUKE, Renowned Director and Actor, “Sister Act 2: Back in the Habit” (Director); “Hoodlum” (Director); “Predator” (Actor); “Payback” (Actor) (September 29th)
– EDWARD JAMES OLMOS, Academy Awardâ-Nominated and Golden Globe Awardâ and Emmy Awardâ-Winning Actor, “Stand and Deliver,” “Miami Vice,” “Zoot Suit” (September 29th)
– STEPHEN MACHT, Actor, “Suits,” “The Monster Squad” (September 29th)
– ASHLEY BELL, Actress, “Novitiate,” “The Last Exorcism,” “Carnage Park,” “Love & Air Sex”(September 30th)
– CORKY HALE, World Renowned Harpist (September 29th)
– MIKE BURSTYN, American/Israeli Internationally Acclaimed Actor, “The Two Kuni Lemls:” “Barnum” on Broadway; Writer and Director of the Israeli Feature Film, “Azimuth”(September 30th)
– LOREN LESTER, Actor, “American Wedding,” “Batman: The Animated Series” (September 30th)
– MICHAEL FITZPATRICK, World Renowned Cellist (September 30th)
– DR. JUDEA PEARL, Father of slain Wall Street Journal reporter
DANIEL PEARL (September 29th)
– GEORGE KOMSKY, Noted Singer who appeared from September 2012 – August 2016 as Featured Male Soloist on Trumpeter Chris Botti’s Worldwide Tours. (Yizkor Service – September 30th)
– BERNARD HILLER, Renowned Acting Teacher (September 30th)
– SHARON FARBER, Four Time Emmy Awardâ-Nominated Composer and Music Director for the Beverly Hills Temple of the Arts at the Saban Theatre (September 29th and 30th)
– ILYSIA J. PIERCE, Cantor, Beverly Hills Temple of the Arts at the Saban Theatre (Disney’s “Beauty and the Beast,” First National Tour) (September 29th and 30th)
– JORDAN BENNETT, Cantor, Beverly Hills Temple of the Arts at the Saban Theatre (Lead in “Les Misérables” on Broadway) (September 29thand 30th)
– ADRIENNE BARON, Noted Vocalist (September 29th and 30th)
The creative services will also feature the temple’s choir comprised of singers from the LOS ANGELES OPERA and the LOS ANGELES MASTERS CHORALE.
High Holy Day Tickets start at $400. Young Adult memberships for ages 18 to 40 are available for a donation of $150. Children’s services, led by Karen Abrams, will be held on the morning of Yom Kippur on Saturday, September 30th at 10:00 a.m. This year the temple has partnered with Lyft to provide free transportation to and from the Saban Theatre for the temple’s Sustaining Members. For more information about tickets and Lyft services, please call the temple at 323-658-9100 or log on to Beverly Hills Temple of the Arts.